Friday, July 13, 2007

One of my staffs has been having many personal calls.

Apparently she has divorced from her husband. Both are still contributing to the HDB flat. The two kids stay with her. The husband doesn't contribute to the children's expenses.

Now the husband wants to set up another family. He allows the kids to stay with him, but not her. I am not sure legally, who has the custody of the children.

The only solution seems to be selling the HDB flat, and both go their separate ways.

But then she cannot affords to buy a HDB flat on her own ( no CPF ), and she is not allowed to rent from the government at a subsidised rate, within 2.5 years of her selling the flat.

With her salary, she is not ableto afford rental flats from the open market.

Her MP can't help her.

MUIS says it is a government issue, and they will not interfere. They also do not provide half way house or shelters.

Now what is this lady going to do?

She is not a teenaged mother, she is decent, she doesn't do drugs, she is not proud of being a single mother, she has a job, albeit a low paying one.

Why can't the policy makers take these into account, when formulating regulations?
Posted by Picasa


At 11:25 pm, Blogger Stepmother said...

Standard of living in Singapore is getting higher and higher. Rental market is so high and depressing. Guess your friend will need to get help from family or friend to find a shelter, or rent a room.

At 7:58 am, Blogger EJ. said...

Tough transition period for her unless policy are flexible enough to help.The only choice is seek accomodation with a relative.
Well, the good always get 'punished'.

At 10:29 am, Blogger san said...

I thought the AMP would help in such cases. How about going to Pertapis. They have people who could advise her on what to do. She could always write to STOMP! That would get a lot of publicity and the govt would then scramble to help the poor woman.


Post a Comment

<< Home