Thursday, June 14, 2007

I am currently reading the Chinese translation of The Tale of Genji.

Just like the English version, there are various editions. I chose the 林文月 edition ( ISBN 957-674-200-5 洪范 2000 ) over the others, as the language seems to be more evocative and lyrical.



I found that it is best to read just a few chapters a day, as how the story was meant to unfold and be told in its age. The various haikus are a bit over bearing, but I was surprised to find comedy and humour in the tales.


Of course as of most fictions, one would imagine how the characters would look like in his/her mind. That is why best selling literary works may not necessary translate to Oscar winning blockbusters.
Not with heroines who look like this, surely!!!! *groan*






1 Comments:

At 9:02 am, Blogger san said...

They may not resemble any of the stars of today but I find them quite beautiful :)) But then I like period dramas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home