Tuesday, February 19, 2008





I went to the embassy today to renew my paspot. I was quite apprehensive about it. I remembered the times when I had to reach there at 7am and wait outside in the dark, among the bushes, with all the foreign workers. Or under the hot sun at Hill Street.

I made the mistake of going by Tanglin Road, and it was a loooooooooooooong walk in. I had downloaded and filled in the form ( all in Malay!!!! ) and checked out the documents and photos required, but I was mentally prepared because the rules change all the time. I also had some small change with me, for photos and photocopies.

I reached there at 10.30am, and left at 11.45am. The new thing was we had to get a pass first at the guard house, in exchange with a card. Any card except the IC, and the guard gave me a new form with barcodes to fill in. I was quite surprised that I could collect within the same day! It used to be 3 to 7 days. I was also glad that the security guards, the photo booth and copy staffs, and the staffs were all willing to speak English, helpful and polite.

Unfortunately, they still have the bad habit of chatting with each other while processing the applications.........And they said I must take off my glasses for the photos. Hmph.

I had lunch, and went back at 1.30pm via River Valley Road. Luckily the hall was opened so we didn't have to sit in the sun. There was quite a stampede during collection, as some people did not understand instructions, or they preferred that way things are in the 70s.........

After that I trooped over to ICA at Kallang, to inform them of the new document. It was the same group of people as at the embassy, but mostly the younger ones. I managed to complete the whole thing in 30 minutes.

Sister S said maybe we can organize a shuttle for people doing the same thing like me, from a collection point to the embassy in the morning, and embassy to ICA in the afternoon. We may make money that way!!!

Anyway, I am glad I got it done, without glitch.

And finally we have an embassy and staffs we can be proud of.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 7:36 am, Blogger EJ. said...

Can collect the same day, that's great.
Two weeks ago, I mailed out my application to renew my Singapore passport to the Singapore Consulate downtown Vancouver.
Got a call that my photo's background should be white.Image of face must measure between 25mm & 35mm from chin to crown of head.Glasses are ok as long as not reflective.
Retake at studio.
Need to wait 3-4 weeks to collect.
Pretty convenience.

 
At 9:36 am, Blogger auntie p said...

Hat has an ang pow hovering over his head!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home