Friday, November 17, 2006


Spencer doing her best impersonation of Mary, Queen of Scots.

I had watched the HBO/ Channel 4 production of Elizabeth I on Hallmark some time back, and wanted to watch it again. I have at least ten books on this part of English history, by Alison Weir Antonia Fraser and others. I couldn't find the DVD from HMV, normally so reliable, so I got it from Amazon instead.

Spencer watched it with me, in between snoring, grooming and snuggling.

Then we realised Hallmark had actually censored some of the gorier sections. Like when the traitors were hanged, quartered and drawn. They actually showed one of the executioners rolling the victim's intestines on a pole, like what you would do for pasta.......bleh.

Then when the Queen of Scots was beheaded, the executioner bungled the job, and she had to be chopped twice......double bleh.

Other than that, it is a very well made production, lavish costumes, witty lines, great acting from all. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 8:56 pm, Blogger JJ said...

Sound terrifying but should be very enjoyable film.

JJ

 
At 6:14 pm, Blogger san said...

Woah. I saw the hallmark version and thought it quite gory already! I think Spencer should win the Golden Globe for best impersonation of a royal personage. RAH!RAH! SPENCER!

 
At 10:11 pm, Blogger cat_aunty said...

Oh San, you watched it too! Kindred spirits!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home